Friday, February 1, 2019

Stephen's Ressurection

I think we can all agree that Mr. Daedalus as a character features plenty of unlikable qualities. From his seeming obsession with being a dark and mysterious main character to creepy obsession with this romanticized idea of love, he just doesn't seem like that enjoyable of a person to be around. It is for reasons like these that I first denounced Stephen as a character in my last blog post. However reaching the conclusion of the book, I can say that I see him in a much better light.

I'm reluctant to say I associate with this character on some level, no matter how little I do. That said, his idea of escaping his hometown to pursue himself as an individual is a concept I've considered many times, so to see someone go ahead and just do it gets my (begrudging) respect. But besides that, why is it that I don't hate Stephen like I used to? Well the simple answer is that having a story narrated by the main character's older self allows a lot more insight into the MC's thoughts in the present as well as in hindsight. I think the additional language we get from Joyce in the form of descriptions and irony as well as explanation help paint Stephen in a more understandable light. Even if I disagree with Stephen, I can't help but say hes definitely on his way to becoming a damn good artist.

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree. At the beginning of the book I was beginning to hate Stephen, but as the story went on, he began to be a better person in my eye. Hearing his intellectual side and him not committing the same sins made me see him in a more friendly manner. As much as I hate to admit, sometimes during the book I actually did relate to him. He did become a good artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you in that the insight on Stephen or possibly Joyce himself, and the necessary introspection makes him a talented artist. I'm sure we all hate to relate in any way to Stephen, all of the cringe inducing moments we see in the book only exist through remarkable introspection done by Joyce, who possesses the ability to examine every aspect of his life, including these cringy moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that the unlikable qualities of Steven are what make him an impressionable character. Had the novel's main character been a "angelic-like" child, it would be not only boring but unrealistic. In addition, Joyce's idea of an artist is unique to him which is why we might see Stephen as annoying or odd. Besides, growing children tend to be annoying to the older folks (e.g. us, tired high-schoolers vs.edgy middle-schoolers). I tip my hat off to Joyce because he does a great job in showing Stephen's growth throughout -- showing the good, the bad, and ugly sides of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the annoyance of Stephen as a person dissipating as the novel goes on. We all may or may not admit it, but are we really our most likable selves at thirteen or fourteen? (I certainly wasn't)
    It's really something you can't come to understand unless you're caught up in it, I guess. But I did really find older Stephen to be inspiring as an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good points! I wonder exactly what Joyce's goal was with this book. For one thing the literary style is new but he may be trying to teach us about coming of age. Adult Joyce may not be advocating for stephens views. He laces much of stephens ignorance with irony and i think joyce's development continued long after the end of this novel. So i think Joyce would be happy if we learned from stephens "mistakes"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually really enjoyed his edgy Byronic phase. The antihero has always been a fascinating concept to me, and I liked seeing that same interest reflected in a character around my own age. I found adult Stephen to be similar to myself in a different way. His apathy is something that I channel throughout my life. I've stopped caring about pretty much everything, like him, which is dope I guess.

    ReplyDelete